31 August 2008

Funny How

So it's been a couple of days, hasn't it? I think the last time I wrote I was sitting in the cafe of the Red Chilli Hideaway, my blood pulsing through my veins to the deafening rhythm whatever music happened to be on the radio at the time, and hoping against all hope that my blog would make as much an impact on you as the discovery of its content made on me. Today, I'm crammed in the back corner of the "Fast Internet Cafe" in Jinja on both the shores of the Nile River and Lake Victoria, and I assure you that only one word of the name of this place is accurate. There is, in fact, internet here. "Fast" is most definitely a relative term. But I'm incredibly grateful that there is internet here at all. And I'm incredibly grateful that there are so many people at home who love me and are praying for me. I can feel the impact of your prayers in almost every situation I encounter. So thank you for that. Keep it up, because good things are on the horizon!!

I am thrilled to death to be able to let you guys know that my research started quite unexpectedly yesterday. I got together with a young man named Julius who was part of the inspiration for this project yesterday afternoon. The plan was to get together, play cards, drink sodas and get to know each other. We did all that--me beating him roundly in speed a shameful number of times--but he also opened up about himself and his life, and I was able to capture it all on my video camera, which is going to be incredibly helpful when I try to recount these conversations on paper. I had been feeling a little pressed in the last few days because I had been here for several days and hadn't gotten started on the research, so I prayed yesterday morning that God would at least allow me to feel that my day was productive in some way. And as is so common with Him, He did just that and so much more!! I'm going to be spending the day with Julius and his siblings on Tuesday and then joining them at church Tuesday night on the first of what I hope are several days of getting to know him and his life. I can't wait to introduce this extraordinary young man to you.

I have also been able to make several other contacts with orphan care-givers who have in turn suggested several orphans they know who would be good "subjects" for me. I hope to be meeting a girl named Harriet later this week in Kampala, a six-year-old girl who has been abandoned by her parents (whose name I don't recall right now), and an adult orphan named Godfrey who was raised by missionaries. Lori and I will also be making a trek down to a village in the south of Uganda--past the equator (!)--that is made up primarily of small orphans and the grandmothers who care for them. I'm still trying to get up to Gulu to meet some children who have been affected by the conflict in Northern Uganda, and have a few more contacts to make in Jinja. My schedule is filling up quickly!

My hope for the next four-ish weeks is to be able to connect with eight or nine "star" orphans whose stories I can tell. Please pray that God will make those orphans obvious to me and that I will have the conversational skills I need to be able to connect with them on a deeper level and enjoy their lives. I am most certainly out of my depth on this one, and I am clinging to Christ more than ever. I was feeling discouraged the other day, but when I opened the Bible that night, He reminded me in 2 Corinthians 3:5 that He is my adequacy. He is in control of this project, and He will bring about a result that will bring Him glory and will further His purposes in the world. I'm so grateful to be a part of it.

I know this post isn't exactly as concise as many of my posts tend to be, but I wanted to give you a little glimpse into the basics of what is going on. I have so much more to tell...so I guess it's a good thing I'm gonna have a whole book to do it!

Thank you again to all of you for following me on this journey. I wish I could show you everything. I guess you'll just have to come with me next time!

Love to you all...Amanda

PS--I have a video all ready to go, but I'm having to figure out some technical challenges on this end due to the slow internet. I hope to post the first video tomorrow, but don't put all your video-viewing eggs in that basket. :o)

No comments: